Note: As of 2013-04-21, this module appears to no longer be supported. If you are interested in taking this module over, or you as the module maintainer feel this message has been posted in error, please reply to http://drupal.org/node/1876886
This modules allows for the creation of two dimensional (2D) QR barcodes.
QR codes are a popular type of two-dimensional barcode. They are also known as hardlinks or physical world hyperlinks. QR Codes store up to 4,296 alphanumeric characters of arbitrary text. This text can be anything, for example URL, contact information, a telephone number, even a poem! QR codes can be read by an optical device with the appropriate software. Such devices range from dedicated QR code readers to mobile phones.
QR Codes has an open, pluggable, architecture allowing administrators to decide what encoding engine they want to use for barcode image generation. Currently the module implements 3 engines as sub modules:
- qr_codes_google_chart.module. This engine uses Google Chart API to generate barcodes. Learn more at http://code.google.com/apis/chart/docs/gallery/qr_codes.html.
- qr_codes_qrencode.module. It uses Libqrencode which is a C library for encoding data in a QR Code. See http://megaui.net/fukuchi/works/qrencode/index.en.html.
- [In progress. See #841236: New PHP QR Code engine] qr_codes_phpqrcode.module. Is using the PHP QR Code library as engine to create barcodes. See http://phpqrcode.sourceforge.net/.
At least one of these sub-modules must be enabled in order to generate QR Codes. Developers can plug additional engines by implementing
The module exposes an API for creating your own barcodes, a theme function for returning the images, and a block for displaying configurable node data as a qr code. QR code images are cached locally for faster performance and further manipulation. The module plays well with Imagecache and Token, which are recommended but not required.
- Initial development by Level OS in conjunction with ThinkShout, sponsored by GeoMeridian.
- Developers: Lev Tsypin, Claudiu Cristea and Aaron Stewart.