No D7 version so please use filefield sources
I've abandoned this module in favor of Filefield Sources module which provides a very similar feature to this module. I'm using that module within my D7 projects.
So anyone interested in the two issues below can take over this module.
This project was earlier but quicksketch has more users so when issue
- #1186144: Copy URL into one of title, alt or custom text field
is resolved for Filefield Sources we only need an upgrade path
- #1186152: Add a D7 migration path to filefield sources module
This module let you attach/download remote images to an image field and remember the original URL
- The name is a little misleading as this does not support files yet
- Check out http://drupal.org/project/filefield_sources is you don't need the original URL
- the site users of this module could break copyright rules. So make sure you only acquire files from the right sites.
The module needs more features but it works for me:
- download images from wikipedia for further display.
- having a link to the image back to wikipedia.
- do proper validatation instead of generating errors when saving the node.
Create a content type with two cck fields:
- link field: name this field_remote_YOURNAME_link
- image field: name this field_remote_YOURNAME_image. Make it not required
The naming is essential. Field names must begin with field_remote_ (which is CCKs nature) and end with either _link or _image. The module checks for fieldnames ending with _link then tries to find a matching _image field. If so the links are used to download the images and validation errors occur while saving the node (sick).
Create a new node and fill in the link to an image ie http://upload.wikimedia.org/centralnotice/images/puzzle-piece.png
Submit the node and there the images is downloaded to your site ready for image cache, views, etc.