runvsc is a tight, mean pre-processing base theme; all of the logic / markup is built from within the template.php.
I created this base theme system because I wanted create a lightweight, powerful and modular Theming System for professional Front End and Back End Developers. runvsc wants you to create your own library of reliable, reusable code snippets ;)
runvsc themes features include:
- Native 960 grid system -> configurable with simple integer variables in the template.php
- Useful functions -> runvsc_markup is the workhorse of this theme -> you can use this simple function to generate any html element you can think of :)
- Preprocessing makes your theme 3 times faster -> the tpl files are simply print $variable statement. No pesky if - colon statements!
- Heavy use of Class Arrays: Classes can be added in the preprocessing layer with logic - giving you powerful control over how your site looks from page to page ;)
- Integrated focus for Typesetting -> runvsc wants to be used in conjunction with font squirrel kits!
- With "ninesplice" : ninesplice is a structure that allows you to make reliable, cross browser, rock solid decorative borders with three small images :). Simply add the images to the images/ninesplice/borderfolder, adjust three lines of CSS, add a class to a div, and run the content through a function ... ka pow you have a border. Also, no js required! In D6, D7 will soon ship
- D7 ships with Krumo - so you don't need to rely on Devel!
- D7 includes a "runvsc" array to pass important information around.
- While D6 version had lots of "sub themes", D7 now ships with a starter wireframe theme "vsc_heaven" -> you don't have to download another project!
- Implements modular theme classes: All runvsc themes are designed to leverage modular code: Create your own theme functions, save as snippets, and use them in every project!
Drupal 7 Version
This theme ships with a 960 grid enabled. For my personal site (http://www.johnvsc.com), I created a liquid layout -> which I need to do a blog post on. I will post "layout functions" that will replace the default vsc_heaven_ninesixty_three_column function -> by doing so, you can endless amounts of logic driven layouts
I found that by using the Display Suite, I pretty much eliminate the need for many content tpls -> give this a shot before you start creating a ton of preprocessing functions for the node types ... it might save you mad time. Take a look at the runVSC base theme's template.php -> there are lots of good things in there!
Soon there will be creating screencasts of how to use runVSC-7 on www.runvsc.com.
Drupal 6 Version:
People who will most likely love this theme:
- Developers: I created this theme because I come from a OOP background. I treat the template.php like a Class declaration object: to add functionality to this theme, you add functions to the template.php - not the tpls!
- Anyone who wants to learn how to program: Because of the reliance of pre-processing functions - if you want to step up your game and learn how to program in PHP / think in terms of methods and Arrays; then give this theme a go
Current starter themes for RUNVSC- D6 are:
If you want to know which one to pick - you might want to start with vsc_wired as it is a wireframe theme!