Drupal 6 Synonyms
Synonyms is a small module that makes it possible to search for taxonomy term synonyms via the built-in search module.
Also, it makes it possible to find a node through the parents of any term that the node is tagged with, as well as the parents' synonyms.
Drupal 7 Synonyms
The 7.x version has been released. For the 7th branch the module has been rewritten from scratch. It is based on Field API and now provides various additional enhancements. Below is the list and brief explanation of what stands behind the 7th branch:
- per vocabulary settings - now you are able to enable/disable functionality on per-vocabulary basis;
- field independency - you can choose what fields of term should be considered synonyms. Now it's not only a text field, but entity reference fields and others. See below for detailed explanation.
- search integration - as this module originally was created for enabling node search by synonyms of the terms nodes reference to, this feature is still present in the 7th version;
- synonyms friendly autocomplete widget - module ships with its own widget for taxonomy term reference field types, which supports autocomplete suggestions based not only on the names of terms but also based on their synonyms.
Since 7.x branch is taking advantage of Field API for synonyms, now you can choose what fields, attached to terms, can be nominated as sources of synonyms for that term. Theoretically now you can store your synonyms in any convenient way for you (in any field type). Synonyms module ships with ability to extract synonyms from the following field types:
- taxonomy term reference;
- entity reference (http://drupal.org/project/entityreference);
- number (hardly you will ever need it, but it doesn't hurt to have);
If you want to implement your own synonyms extractor that would enable support
for any other field type, please, refer to synonyms.api.php file for
instructions on how to do it, or file an issue against Synonyms module. We will
try to implement support for your field type too. If you have written your own
synonyms extractor, please share by opening an issue, and it will be included
into this module.
If you are interested into converting this module from synonyms for Taxonomy
terms into synonyms for any entity types, please go to this issue
#1194802: Synonyms for all entity types and leave a comment. Once we see some demand for
this great feature and the Synonyms module gets a little more mature, we will
try to make it happen.