- Media adds a file/image browser. So does this module.
- Media adds a lot of crazy options. This module doesn't.
- Media is insanely hard to extend (partly because it's HUGE). This module isn't.
- The FileField Sources "reference" field is impractical, because you don't know the image's filename, but you do know what it looks like. This module add visuals.
Set up / enable
- Download & install
- Create an image field (any (?) widget)
- Enable "Autocomplete reference textfield" under "File sources" (field instance settings)
- That's it. Go to the (node) form and select "Reference existing". There will be a new button "Choose file"
This module comes with a free, standard grid View. You can override that. If you're a fan of Features, you can clone it and disable the old one. The new one is then used (and featurizable!) because the path is still "admin/visual_select_file" and the tag is "visual_select_file".
hook_visual_select_file_results_alter(). See visual_select_file.module for context.
All JS is divided into small chunks (like
Drupal.visualSelectFile.openButtonLabel) to make changes simple.
A ckeditor plugin to 'completely' deprecate Media!