If you want to share and work with your documents online Google Docs, Zoho, iNetWord, Office 365 or Sharepoint are most likely to be - depending on how deep you can dig into your pocket - the solutions of choice. Especially, a large legacy of documents in proprietary formats, such as MS Word or Excel, may discourage from moving to an online editor. Additionnally, legal issues might arise if confidential files are hosted by a third party service provider.
WireDocs is a lightweight remote file editing tool. It takes the best of both worlds: Drupal as a CMS being responsible for hosting files and applications on a operating system (OS) doing the editing part. The approach automatizes a manual process: a file is downloaded, edited by a local editor and uploaded to its original remote location again. WireDocs makes this procedure completely transparent from a user perspective. The user only watches the application opening the demanded file and uploads are processed in the background after the file has been saved. WireDocs integrates with Drupal's content structure, namely the Field API, and currently supports file and image fields.
As a Java applet bridges the gap between Drupal and the OS the client must fulfill some prerequisites:
- Java browser plugin running on JRE version 1.7+, download it from http://www.java.com/download
- Proper set up of OS file type associations with editor applications
In this implementation the Java applet delegates the launch of an application for a file type to the operation system. If that's done correctly it should run on any operating system (supported by Java of course :).
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Content, Content Access Control, Fields, File Management, Filters/Editors, Utility
- Reported installs: 15 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 375
- Last modified: August 1, 2012