Last updated January 31, 2014.
Drupal core needs more eyes and more contributors to decrease the very high amount of unresolved issues.
We hold the Drupal core contribution mentoring ("office hours") each week in #drupal on freenode:
- Tuesday, 02:00 - 04:00 UTC
- Wednesday, 16:00 - 18:00 UTC
- Core contribution mentoring calendar:
Visit the Core Mentoring website for more information, or follow @drupalmentoring and the #DrupalCOH hashtag on Twitter for updates. Also see the core windsprints, which have a more advanced focus and prioritize issues for Drupal 8 initiatives.
Why contribution mentoring?
There are currently a large number of unresolved issues in the core queue, and we want to get more organised dealing with the backlog, and encourage new people to help out.
- Over 3000 open bug reports against Drupal 8 and 7.
- Over 1500 open bug reports against Drupal 6.
- Over 1700 patches needing review for Drupal 8 and 7.
- Nearly 200 bug reports against Drupal 6/7/8 have 0 replies.
How will core mentoring help?
If you've been wanting to get involved in Drupal core development, but aren't sure where to start, come to the office hours. You will find experienced contributors who will help you to find something to work on.
If you have patches or bug reports against Drupal core, and want to get your patch reviewed or figure out where to take the issue next, this should be a good time of the week to trade reviews on IRC.
Things we will do
Office hours are for both experienced contributors and developers as well as newcomers, expect some of the following:
- Triaging the core queue - understanding status, priority of issues, closing duplicates etc.
- Co-writing issue summaries.
- Co-writing change notifications for needs work issues tagged with "Needs change notification".
- Writing SimpleTests for bug reports that don't have them.
- Swapping patch reviews.
New contributors should already be prepared to do the following:
- Have a local environment to review and test core patches.
- Get familiar with the documentation at http://drupal.org/patch
See the original proposal for more discussion, and to volunteer for helping out with office hours on a regular basis. Comments have been disabled on this post to keep discussion in one place.