Now as the new entity field API got committed, we need to convert existing entity types to make use of it. See #1346214: [meta] Unified Entity Field API and the "Entity Field API" tag.
Actually, this should be critical.
Related issue: #1732730: [meta] Implement the new entity field API for all field types
#1869250: Various EntityNG and TypedData API improvements and #1778178: Convert comments to the new Entity Field API are ready to go! The former brings a new BC layer with which we could think about converting entity types in two steps to speed things up:
1) As a first step convert everything to the new API but return a BC-enabled entity, so one can keep accessing property values using $node->title; Still, one can remove BC and start using the new API, e.g. to deal with translations, convert various entity-subsystems or the field API.
2) As second step remove the BC layer by default and change the code to go with the new of accessing property values ala $node->title->value;
Once node is in, I will take users and taxonomy terms, at least.
Updated issue summary.
Added #1983548: Convert contact message entities to the new Entity Field API to the list in the issue summary.
The last 3 unfinished issues from the issue summary are:
- #1818574: Convert config entities to the new Entity Field API
- #1939994: Complete conversion of nodes to the new Entity Field API
- #1842858: [PP-1] Convert menu links to the new Entity Field API
I don't believe the first is release blocking, so will leave it at its current (major) priority. The other two are, so I'm about to raise their priority to critical.
Closing this meta issue, as I don't think it's useful any more. It's easy enough to track the remaining 3 issues. Please re-open this if you find it useful though.
Drupal is a registered trademark of Dries Buytaert.