- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2009-112
- Project: Sections (third-party module)
- Version: 5.x, 6.x
- Date: 2009-December-16
- Security risk: Moderately Critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
The Sections module allows the creation of sections within a site. Each section has an installed template, theme or style attached to it. The module does not sanitize some of the user-supplied data before displaying it, leading to a Cross Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability. Users who can take advantage of this vulnerability could gain administrator access to a site. This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that the attacker must have a role with the 'administer sections' permission.
- Sections module 5.x-1.2 and prior versions
- Sections module 6.x-1.2 and prior versions
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Sections module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Sections module for Drupal 5.x upgrade to Sections 5.x-1.3
- If you use the Sections module for Drupal 6.x upgrade to Sections 6.x-1.3
See also the Sections module project page
Alexander Hass the module maintainer.
The security team for Drupal can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the form at http://drupal.org/contact.