Simplenews publishes and sends newsletters to lists of subscribers. Both anonymous and authenticated users can opt-in to different mailing lists. HTML email can be sent by adding Mime Mail module.
Simplenews 7.x-1.0 has finally been released which includes a number of other important bugfixes, especially in the upgrade path.
- Sending nodes as newsletters to subscribers
- Multiple newsletter categories with separate settings
- Per category and multi-signup Blocks and Pages
- Subscriber management including mass-subscription and export
- Optional E-mail confirmations for anonymous users
- Customizable newsletter templates
- Support for HTML (including text alternative) newsletter when used in combination with a supported mail system module
- Views and Rules integration
- Support for multi-language newsletters
Find a Drupal 7 roadmap here.
If you switch to 6.x-2.x make sure you add token module. Drupal 6 has limitations in its upgrade implementation and omits the check of this newly added dependency. An alpha-release for 6.x-2.x has been created. Features in 6.x are considered frozen.
All further feature requests are subject to 7.x.
- Simplenews is not compatible with Content Taxonomy where Content Taxonomy is used as newsletter taxonomy field. See #368183: error on sending newsletter (you should assign content type ... to the Newsletter vocabulary..).
- In D6 using Poormanscron can cause simplenews to send multiple copies of the same email to the same recipient. Therefore I strongly advise against using Poormanscron.. Use cron(tab) and cron.php instead. See this issue. In D7 we use locking which should prevent sending multiple copies. However you can expect much more timing accuracy and reproducibility when using a real cron. If you want support, please setup cron. first
- Simplenews conflicts with the Newsletter module, it's not possible to use both at the same time. See #1451802: Change newsletter/* menu paths to simplenews/*
Simplenews is currently maintained by MD Systems (by Miro Dietiker, Berdir, s_leu) with the help of Simon Georges of Makina-Corpus.
Originally written by DriesK, later maintained by RobRoy and Sutharsan.
If Simplenews is critical for your business, please contact us and help support the ongoing further development of this module. Your donations are appreciated. Also if you like to join the Simplenews maintainer team, don't hesitate to contact us. We are looking forward to hearing from you.
The following modules work with Simplenews:
- Simplenews Linkchecker (D6-2.x, D7)
- Webform Simplenews Component (D6-1.x, D6-2.x, D7)
- Simplenews Scheduler (D6-1.x, D6-2.x, D7)
- Simplenews Roles (D6-1.x, D6-2.x, D7)
- Simplenews Content Selection
- Simplenews Digest (D6)
- Simplenews Analytics (D6)
- Simplenews Statistics (D6 stable)
- Simplenews RealName (D6-1.x, D6-2.x)
- Simplenews Bounce D6 (under development)
- Sequenced newsletter (D6-2.x)
Deprecated related modules (only relevant for 6.x-1.x)
- Simplenews Subscription Manager (abandoned)
- Simplenews Template
- Simplenews Multiple Signup Block
- Simplenews on register
- Simplenews Threaded Send
The module maintainer is available for paid Simplenews customization and service.