Kalatheme is a revolutionary and powerful framework that allows Drupal rookies and savvy veterans to rapidly build responsive, mobile-first subthemes by leveraging both the Twitter Bootstrap front end toolkit and the power of Panopoly. While Kalatheme is a theme in and of itself it is more importantly a framework to easily build other Bootstrap themes.
Kalatheme takes care of the responsive grid and media queries, HTML5 compliance and cross browser parity and you can easily preprocess your CSS with LESS, SASS or COMPASS. With Kalatheme you don't have to worry about many of the more technical aspects of modern themes. It avoids complicated template files and clunky blocks and with Bootstrap you don't have to start from scratch with CSS. You can focus on what makes your theme unique.
Kalatheme is able to do this with the following magix:
- Start with ANY Bootstrap Library - Kalatheme is the first (as far as we know) Drupal theme with Libraries API integration. Start with either a standard, customized or alternate Bootstrap library and get a super head start on theming.
- Responsive Design Made Easy - In addition to responsive versions of all the layouts in the Panopoly, Kalatheme also adds 6 more responsive panels layouts plus automatically responsive views grid displays and menus. Oh yeah! You can also easily choose whether a panel pane shows up on desktop, tablet or phone.
- The One-Region Paradigm - Blocks and regions are the Drupal of yesterday. The Drupal of today doesn't need 20 regions on every page. Kalatheme uses panels layouts so you can choose the regions that make sense for each page.
- Simple Templates - With the One-Region paradigm you no longer need to maintain a plethora of template files. Do the same with a few easy-to-build panels layouts.
- Site Builder Tools - Kalatheme comes with a fully customizable styles plugin so you can provide site builders or clients with powerful tools. Easily add elements and classes to any content pane, its title or content area. Plus you can choose what devices you want each pane to show up on.
Consult the README for information on how to install Kalatheme and Bootstrap, use custom Bootstrap libraries, and leverage all that Kalatheme has to offer.
The Kalamuna website is a great example of this theme in action. They also sponsored the development of this theme.