Web Links provides a comprehensive way to post weblinks to your site. All links are nodes, which may be put into taxonomies/categories and administered. Additionally blocks may be enabled for any category (or sub-category) of weblinks. This module plays nicely with taxonomy_access/node_access allowing for various group and individual editing options. Admins may also enable a "My Weblinks" page that displays which web links a user has submitted and what the publication status is for that link.
You may be interested in comparison shopping: Comparison of links page modules.
- Very preliminary support for Views has been added. We could use a Views expert to join the team to help get it better.
- Views 2 RC2
- introduced and required some significant changes; Web Links has been updated for it. We recommend that you be reasonably current on Views.
- Write a review for this module on drupalmodules.com
- Report any bugs, feature requests, etc. in the issue tracker
- Review and comment on the issue queue, especially on "Roadmap" items. We value all adopter input in charting the course of this module.
- We are beginning to write tests for the SimpleTest module. You can help with this too. See #460622: Additional tests.
- This module, out of the box, uses the standard theme setting to show the "Submitted by" information. This can be further enhanced by using the Submitted By module. An example is in the screen shot above.
- Image Attach can be used to add images (such as logos) to the links.
- Taxonomy Image can be used to add images to the link groups
- RealName adds the ability to display an alternate name derived from the user profile along with a number of other features. Weblinks supports this at the current -dev version.
- Taxonomy Delegate can be used to allow non-admin roles the ability to maintain the Weblinks vocabulary. You may find this unnecessary (try it first).
- Voting modules work just fine. An example of Five Star is in the screen shot above.
- Category module appears to be incompatible with this module.
- The Pralexa (rankings) sub-module requires the PHP extension "SimpleXML," which is supposed to be standard in PHP5. If, for some reason, your host has disabled it, you will not be able to use Pralexa. This is something to take up with your host; do not file an issue on it.
- Read the documentation (two or three times is better). Don't forget the handbook pages, especially the FAQ.
- Review the existing issues list. (Don't forget to select "<all>" for the "Status" field.)
- Gather all the appropriate information. This may include (but is not limited to):
- Drupal version.
- Browser type and version.
- Database type and version.
- Error messages, if any.
- Module settings.
The 7.x branch is pretty far along in conversion, so testing in real use would be quite helpful.
Some themes cause duplicate titles; we have made an option for those themes. To fix it, go to View settings field set and remove the check box from "show node title."
We currently have conversion functions (as sub-modules) for Links Package, Janode, and LinksDB.
How can you get involved?
As with all contributed modules, when considering submitting an issue:
PHP prior 5.2.5 and MySql 4
Due to end-of-life on PHP4 and MySql4, we no longer actively support either of those products. If a problem arises, we will make an effort to work around it, but will not make a guarantee. Drupal 7 will require PHP 5.2.5 or higher and MySql 5 (or Postgres 8); if your host is not at these levels yet, please encourage them to get there ASAP.
As with all modules, please make sure you run update.php after updating this module, even if no updates are identified.
Development version status
The development versions (-dev) are where the newest stuff is, including any bug fixes and new features. We try to make sure it is tested before we commit anything, but occasionally a bug will get by us. Your help on testing this code is greatly appreciated. The translation templates may not always be up-to-date in the dev releases.
Current Features being tested in Development
Currently in 6.x-1.x-dev
Update.php required: No
Currently in 7.x-1.x-dev
Update.php required: No
Robert and Nancy