I would rate myself as an intermediate with my knowledge of Drupal. I'm currently tryng to make a stock photography site. I'm currently using the Gallery2 integration module and the cart system in G2, but I'd like to see if I could do it all in Drupal. I don't really care for G2's checkout module. So I'm wondering how much of this can be done with stock modules (I don't know enough PHP to create a module). So here is a list of musts.

1. Upload multiple images at a time and pull information from the metadata of the files. (Title, Tags, etc.)
2. Watermark the image.
3. Sell multiple sizes of the same images.
4. Zip the entire order for convenient download and include a txt file with my license agreement in it.

Thanks,

Comments

ddorian’s picture

1,2 very easy
3 you can sell very easy but multiple sizes i dont know
4 custom module i think

AlfTheCat’s picture

Definitely agree with WorldFalzz and could add the image assist module (or rather a set of image assist modules). Gives you a lot of display options and you can just link the images to their product nodes.

----
"People make mistakes. To really mess something up you need a computer."

Kiwigrower’s picture

Hi,

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here. I want users to upload their own photos and add maybe 5 keyword tags in 5 separate autocomplete fields where the system finds and suggests already existng tags from a database that other users have entered. All 5 tags would come from and go to a common pool. I think this is better than the one-line comma separated string where people will mispell and just type random comments, or leave out the commas

There seems to be so many modules and post about this that it is confusing. So I want to get to core and install the basic tried and proven stuff. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Also how do I add those 5 fields to some kind of form they fill in to submit their photo?

Thanks,
Ron

ddorian’s picture

there is a module called something like tags autocomplete (http://drupal.org/project/tagging) that u can enter tags with spaces (no commas ) and it shows for example random tags that have been created before and with a click the user can insert them. research that. i think 1 field is better than 5. search tags in modules to find relevant other modules for your solution

WorldFallz’s picture

If you want to tag individual photos, then you'll want to make one node per photo and use taxonomy. There's all sorts of taxonomy oriented modules that enhance the tagging ui in the downloads area. One that pops to mind is the http://drupal.org/project/tagging module.

Kiwigrower’s picture

Thanks both of you. I'll definately look at that one. That's better than what I envisioned.

However, let's say my client (wife) doesn't want that fancy UI. The video about tagging mentioned a comma separated list of tags and this is in the description: "This widget is replacing the default Drupal-Tagging-Interface ..."

So, if I wanted to start at the very basics .. what exactly IS that "default Drupal-Tagging-Interface"?. Is that built in to drupal core but I'm just looking in the wrong place?

AlfTheCat’s picture

Hi Kiwigrower,

The default tagging interface shows a dropdown, multi-select or free input field when you create content and tagging is setup. The module you are looking at just replaces (and enhances) that widget with its own.

Just in case you weren't already familiar, to setup tagging you first need to:
1 Go to /admin/content/taxonomy and add a new vocabulary. This will contain your tags.
2 Assign the Taxonomy vocabulary to the content types that you want it available to

----
"People make mistakes. To really mess something up you need a computer."

Kiwigrower’s picture

Ok, I can get the normal taxonomy entry field on the add form for a node (new photo content type) and I assume it's stored in the database somewhere. I see now that this is built in, basic functionality, so I like it. And I created a view that contains all photos which are displayed on the frontpage. So far so good.

Now I'd like to be able to let the user chose terms from a dropdown of previously added terms (or some other simple widget) and also have a couple of buttons (with predefined sorting or filtering) on the menu that will filter and redisplay the front page again.

I'm sort of a purist, and I'm confident that since taxonomy, views and menus are all pretty much part of the core system that there is a very clean way (without adding yet another special purpose module) to make the contents of the view pay attention to the taxonomy terms. I'm thinking this has something to do with views arguments or filters, but don't know how to make that connection dynamically. I think the subject of this post describes what I need to do but I still may not be using the terminology correctly.

So if someone could kindly point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful and pay it forward as I get a handle on this.

Thanks again, Ron

WorldFallz’s picture

You can dynamically filter views in two ways-- thought arguments on the url ('arguments' settings in views) or with exposed filters (add a filter for the desired item in views, then click the 'expose' button).

Dhuandm’s picture

Can I do the same with D8? I'm a photographer and I want to sell my photos.

flightfollowing’s picture

How did your stock photo website project turn out? I need to do the same thing and wondered if you had tips or further info. I am considering photoshelter.com or stockboxphoto.com but would rather be able to customize many elements of the site. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dhuandm’s picture

Can i do it with D8. I want to sell pictures online. Digital download with different sizes.

VM’s picture

you will need to review commerce solutions for D8 (commerce.module and ubercart.module)