- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2013-080
- Project: Simplenews (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x, 7.x
- Date: 2013-Month-DD
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
This module enables you to publish and send newsletters to lists of subscribers.
The module also includes an API that other modules can use to register subscribers.
The module doesn't sufficiently sanitize e-mail addresses prior to outputting. The provided forms (sign-up, mass import, ..) validate and only allow valid e-mail addresses, but e-mail addresses could also be added directly through the API, which does not validate.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that the Simplnews module performs input validation which prevents known attacks, so the injection vector must be added another module (custom or contributed) without validating the email address using the Simplenews API .
CVE identifier(s) issued
- Simplenews 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.5.
- Simplenews 7.x-1.x versions prior to 7.x-1.1.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Simplenews module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Simplenews module for Drupal 6.x-1.x, upgrade to Simplenews 6.x-1.5
- If you use the Simplenews module for Drupal 7.x-1.x, upgrade to Simplenews 7.x-1.1
Also see the Simplenews project page.
- Sascha Grossenbacher the module maintainer
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.