The Entity Construction Kit (ECK) builds upon the entity system to create a flexible and extensible data modeling system both with a UI for site builders, and with useful abstractions (classes, plugins, etc) to help developers use entities with ease.
ECK allows the creation and management of entity types with custom properties; adding bundles to entity types; and fields to bundles, with the help of the Field UI module.
If that last sentence sounded like a foreign language, I suggest reading the first section of ECK's documentation: Understanding Entity Terminology
A fairly recent video demonstrating ECK's capabilities was created by Shane at Code Karate: Drupal 7 Entity Construction Kit. This video should get most site builders going.
An older summary on what ECK could do on 7.x-1.1-alpha3 can be found in Jeff Eaton's article: Module Monday: Entity Construction Kit.
If you are developer and want to extend ECK, please checkout the more in depth, Documentation here in drupal.org. If the piece of documentation you were needing is missing, please let us know through the Issue queue. We easily surrender to peer pressure.
Version 3.x in Progress
The branch 3.x has been opened with property widgets functionality. We have some other major features planned for this new version, including:
- Property Formatters
- Full multilingual support
- And better permission management
If you have any ideas on what new features ECK should have, let us know here:.
For Site Builders
- User Interface for managing entity types, bundles, and entities
- Dynamically add or delete properties from any entity type built with ECK
- Add functionality offered by ECK or other modules to any of your properties through the new behavior system
- Class to create an manipulate entity types with ease
- the paths of the different components of an entities administration (add, edit, delete, view) are all handle through the entity info array, so they can be easily changed through an alter hook, and the administration will keep its integrity
- ECK introduces a plugin type called property behavior to develop flexible functionality for properties that can be attached to any property on any ECK entity type