A Responsive Drupal 7 & 8 Theme
Gratis is a responsive Drupal 7 / 8 theme designed and developed by Danny Englander (@highrockmedia). Gratis is the successor to Bamboo and based on Unsemantic, a lightweight Responsive CSS Framework. Gratis has its roots in the proposed 2.x branch of Bamboo but I've had too many design ideas and framework changes that I wanted to implement so in the end, I decided to create an entirely new theme.
Gratis carries on the tradition of the feature-rich Bamboo but this design is modern, clean and flat. The goal of this theme is to be non-skeuomorphic.
*** Note the color palette slide-in switcher you see in the demo is not part of the theme, it's a custom module I wrote strictly for the demo and is not part of the theme when you download it here. ***
Theme Dependency (NONE)
As of 7.x-1.0, the jQuery Update Module is no longer required!
- Elegant, clean look / Nice UX
- Several color palette choices: Turquoise Blue, Cool Purple, Pumpkin Orange, Olive Green, Pomegranate Red, Seafoam Green, Green Gray
- Responsive touch friendly mobile menu
- Up to three columns for layout (2 sidebars and a content area)
- Modern clean typography
- Image Captions using HTML5's figcaption
- Font Awesome and Google Fonts (OpenSans) Integration
- Semantic mobile layout, left and right sidebars go below content
- Customizable layout width in the theme settings UI, go as wide as you want! It's all percentage based within the parent container. That's one of the drawbacks of Bamboo and there were a lot of feature requests for this.
- Toggle Breadcrumbs on or off
- Default logo changes for each color palette
- Theme local.css or custom path CSS file for your own customizations.
- Pinch and Zoom for Touch friendly devices, turn on or off
- Drop down menus (for desktop)
- Built in main menu block or toggle off to use your own third party contrib menu system
- No base theme is required
- Tertiary Menus - future support is planned
- "Sticky Footer"
- Advanced Forum Ready
Browser and Device Support
Chrome, Firefox, and Safari 6.x+ are supported. There's also support for IE 9 and 10 but not IE 6, 7 and 8 so please do not file any issues in regard to those. Also tested with an iPad mini and an iPhone 4s. If you have other devices such as Android and you are filing an issue, please be ready to supply screen resolution and screen captures.
Gratis Sub-theme StarterKit
Gratis now has a sub-theme starterkit. Please review the readme within that folder for more specific instructions.
Drupal 8 Roadmap
The port to a Drupal 8 Twig version of Gratis is well under way and the majority of the theme is working well. However there are still some tricky bits to be sorted out and those could take a while. See below for related issues for the D8 port. *** Tested with drupal 8.0-alpha7
Related Drupal 8 Issues
- Printing field item attributes with Twig / Drupal 8
- Adding JS to a Drupal 8 theme (replacement for drupal_add_js)
#D8CX: I pledge that Gratis will have a full Drupal 8 release on the day that Drupal 8 is released.
I was inspired to design this Theme after I wrote a blog post, "Random Acts of Drupal", about giving back to and helping the Drupal community. After I did Bamboo, I thought that would be the only time I would contribute to drupal.org in terms of a large scale project but I had such good feedback and response to Bamboo that I was inspired to create Gratis. I'm also planning a premium version that will be a fully built out Install Profile with image galleries, blog and more so this will serve as a test bed in a way.
If you require specific customizations that you are not able to do on your own, I can offer paid support. Please email me: contact at highrockmedia.com or through my website's contact form.
Buy me a Latte
If you like Gratis, help by supporting it, but you are under no obligation. Thank you!
High Rock Media