MathJax is one of several options for rendering LaTeX formulas on your Drupal site.
- Choice between loading the third party library code from MathJax servers (default), or from your website.
- Per-path activation setting.
- Drush integration.
- Add your own MathJax configuration - version 1.1 and higher.
- Configurable MathJax library script URL - version 1.1 and higher.
- Mathjax operates as a text filter - version 2.0 and higher.
By default, the MathJax library is downloaded from MathJax Content Delivery Network (CDN) through a secure connection in a transparent manner. This is a light-weight, "out-of-the-box" LaTeX rendering solution, and you can still use a custom configuration if you need.
Alternatively, you can host the MathJax library (approximately 150MB) on your server (using the libraries module).
Version 2 includes a text filter for MathJax. This allows site admins and content editors fine-grained control over which fields apply MathJax formatting. It nullifies the need for the per-path activation setting.
The Drupal 8 branch is working well. We intend to have a Drupal 8 beta release as soon as the API stabilizes. If you are interested in testing, check out the 8.x-2.x branch.