MathJax is one of several options for rendering LaTeX formulas on your Drupal site.
- Choice between loading the third party library code from MathJax servers (default), or from your website.
- Per-path activation setting.
- Drush integration.
- Add your own MathJax configuration - version 1.1 and higher.
- Configurable MathJax library script URL - version 1.1 and higher.
- Mathjax operates as a text filter - version 2.0 and higher.
By default, the MathJax library is downloaded from MathJax Content Delivery Network (CDN) through a secure connection in a transparent manner. This is a light-weight, "out-of-the-box" LaTeX rendering solution, and you can still use a custom configuration if you need.
Alternatively, you can host the MathJax library (approximately 150MB) on your server (using the libraries module).
Version 2, now in beta (see releases below) includes a text filter for MathJax. This allows site admins and content editors fine-grained control over which fields apply MathJax formatting. It nullifies the need for the per-path activation setting.
The Drupal 8 branch is semi-stable. We intend to have a Drupal 8 beta release as soon as the API stabilizes.
As stated by MathJax authors:
MathJax is a project of the MathJax Consortium, a joint venture of the American Mathematical Society (AMS) and the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) to advance mathematical and scientific content on the web. MathJax is generously supported by the MathJax Sponsors.
- high-quality display of mathematics notation in all browsers
- no special browser setup required
- support for LaTeX, MathML and other equation markup directly in the HTML source.
- an extensible, modular design with a rich API for easy integration into web applications.
- support for accessibility, copy and paste and other rich functionality
- interoperability with other applications and math-aware search.