The Metatag module allows you to automatically provide structured metadata, aka "meta tags", about your website. In the context of search engine optimization, when people refer to meta tags they are usually referring to the meta description tag and the meta keywords tag that may help improve the rankings and display of your site in search engine results.
- Per-page meta tags for any supported entity, or using Context, Panels or Views via included submodules.
- Exportable default meta tag configuration
- Extendable and flexible API (define your own meta tags)
- Support for Deve Generate (sub-module).
- Currently supported meta tags (full list):
- Canonical URL
- Dublin Core (sub-module)
- Image source
Stable release goals
The issues blocking a stable 1.0 release have been tagged:
- Release blockers are issues that it has been decided must be resolved before 1.0. All other issues may be done for later releases.
- Nodewords-Metatag feature parity for features that are in Nodewords but have not yet been ported to Metatag but are a lower priority than the blockers.
Notes / Known Issues
- The module was renamed from "metatags" to "metatag" in late 2011, sites that have the original version installed will need to have the old version disabled before the new version can be installed.
Alternatives and similar modules
- Meta tags quick - Uses the Field API to store its meta tag data. Metatag, however, does not use the Field API for reasons of flexibility and usability.
- Page title - Functionality has been merged into Metatag, but will continue to exist.
- Open Graph meta tags - Functionality has beeen merged into Metatag, but will continue to exist.
- Refresh - Functionality will be merged into Metatag, but may continue to exist.