Public Download Count keeps track of file download counts like Download Count module.
The biggest difference between Download Count module and this module is that this module works under the Drupal's public file system while Download Count module works under the Drupal's private file system.
If you want more secure and strict control over the files you distribute at your site, I recommend that you use the private file system with Download Count module.
Public Download Count module is intended for the following people:
- Those who needs to use the public file system for some reasons, and yet want to keep track of file download count.
- Those who want to keep track of download count of the files on different servers.
- It is desined to work under the Drupal's public file system.
- It can count the download of the file on external servers.
- You can specify valid extensions of the target files.
- You can see the yearly, monthly and daily download count for each file.
- You can export the download count data as a CSV file.
- It does not modify the original contents.
- It works with the downloadable files listed in Views tables and lists.
- You can create multiple blocks to show top download of specified period.
Using Public Download Count module is similar to use external file download CGI program. The anchor HTML tag for a direct file download is automatically converted to use the external PHP script of this module on the fly instead of using Drupal's internal hook mechanism. This is totally different from the Download Count module although the functionality is similar. With this anchor tag conversion method on the fly, Public Download Count module can count the number of download of the files that are located on the external servers.
Please visit the developer's home page for more detais.
This module requires Clean URL feature enabled.
Please do not forget to run update.php when you update this module.