#D8CX There will be a migrate path for Scald to Media Entity when Drupal 8 is released.
Scald is an innnovative take on how to handle Media Atoms in Drupal. New to Scald? Read this FAQ.
It was designed with 3 focus in mind:
- Ergonomics: Scald - with the included Drag'n Drop module - provides a novel and natural way for users to compose complex posts
- Standards: Scald implements a standardized mechanism for manipulating various types of Media Atoms - Files, Social Media Posts, Streamed Media...
- Business: Scald includes a Media Licensing Management, which is a mandatory feature when using professional grade Media Atom sources - whether uploaded or online
Feel free to test the latest version of Scald on SimplyTest.me!
- Media Atoms: full-blown fieldable entities
- Unified Type: an image Media Atom bundle can be a local file, a photo on Flickr or on Facebook
- View mode/Context: each Media Atom can be rendered in different view modes, using different players
- Native support for transcoders (e.g. image styles)
- Native and extensible control access support
- Drag and Drop Media Atoms directly to a richtext editor or a Media Atom Reference field
- Views-based library
- Easy to extend: module can add Types, Media Atom providers, Contexts, Transcoders and Players
- Edit integration for inline editing, with CKEditor integration
- Easy and intuitive multiple upload with integration with the plupload module.
- Integration with many contrib modules: Entity API, Entity Translation, Features, Search API
With two bonuses :
- Automated testing
- A lot of Media Atom providers: see the full list below, or a list of Scald providers as separate projects
Sites made with Scald
- Big Radio Station Sites like France Info, France Inter, France Culture, France Bleu, FIP, Le Mouv' (French Public National Radios), or Radio Nova
- TV channels like ARTE
- Magazines like Santé Magazine
- Public and Government Sites
are large production sites running Scald and managing 500 000+ Media Atoms. Feel free to let us know your sites made with Scald.
Scald Galaxy is a distribution that helps you quickly test and develop Scald. It includes even more features than the demo website. Scald Galaxy can be tested directly at Simplytest.me.
- Inline editing works with Edit 7.x-1.0-beta7 or later.
- CKEditor integration works with CKEditor 7.x-1.13 or later.
- CKEditor 4.1 works out of the box with Scald Core. However, the allowedContent setting may trouble some providers. It is recommended to disabled it. Issue in Drupal core (D8) and in CKEditor (D7).
Besides the online documentation and IRC channel #drupal-scald on Freenode, some other help on Scald is available on the Internet.
- Session in DrupalCon Prague 2013: Universal Media Assets Management in Drupal with the Scald module
- Screencast: Introduction to Scald
- Screencast: Atom Reference Field
- Screencast: Video Providers
- Screencast: Scald Galaxy
- More Screencasts: Screencasts on Scald on Youtube
- Screencast (in French): Episode 74 - Utiliser la puissance de Scald pour gérer tous vos fichiers multimédia by DrupalFacile
- Podcast in English (Modules Unraveled): Using Scald for Media Management
- Last but not least Scald presentation: Manage your Media assets in Drupal with Scald module - Drupalcamp London 2013
- Scald presentation (in French : video + slides): Gestion universelle des assets Média avec Scald
Since April 2012, the module is focused on Drupal 7. UX redesign was performed for this version. If you want to try out the UI for yourself, there is a demo site available.
This version includes natively these providers :
- Video: YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion
- Sound: Audio,
Soundcloudnow a separate project (Scald: Soundcloud)
- Image: standard image files
- Flash: SWF files
Of course, you can create your own providers and share, API is really easy to start with.
D6 now has the same new UI of D7 version. You can check the HOWTO.txt if you want to install it on your site.
In June 2013, Scald Won a CMSDay Award, in the category "Best Back-Office Innovation", competing with other Open Source CMS competitors. Press release here (in French)
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Administration, Content, Content Construction Kit (CCK), Content Display, Fields, File Management, Filters/Editors, Media
- Reported installs: 1,025 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 10,886
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: April 12, 2014