This distribution includes all modules and themes required to emulate the National Archives site (mentioned below). More detailed instructions are on the way. This installation has removed the standard Drupal installation so only the profile is allowed.
The National Archives launched a Crowdsource Transcription website in January 2012 at http://transcribe.archives.gov. The site allows the public to contribute to transcriptions of historical documents, and helps make them more accessible to the public.
Each document is categorized as "Beginner", "Intermediate", or "Advanced", based on the level of effort believed to be needed to transcribe it. In addition to searching for documents, citizen archivists can browse by difficulty, year, and the status of transcription ("Not Yet Started," "Partially Transcribed," and "Completed").
This Drupal distribution was created to provide the custom Drupal pieces used at http://transcribe.archives.gov to individuals, and organizations who would like to create their own document transcription web site.
Sample site: http://transcribe.archives.gov
- Browse documents by "difficulty", "year", or "transcription status".
- Four user-selected transcription statuses: "Not Yet Started", "Completed", "Partially Completed". The status "Not Yet Started" is applied to all documents by default.
- Ability to zoom in on documents.
- A "transcription" entry field into which each document transcription may be typed and saved.
- A "comments" form field that may be used to discuss each document, including any transcription difficulties.
- CAPTCHA/reCAPTCHA spam protection on the transcription entry field.
- Document title and site content keyword search.
- Presentation of "Featured Documents", "More Beginner Documents", "More Intermediate Documents", and "More Advanced Documents" on the home page.
- Drupal document upload feature for uploading documents individually, and their associated data (title, difficulty, and year).
What's included in the package
- transcribe_module: Allows you to create documents and pages for transcription.
- transcribe_theme: Provides user interface for transcribing documents, including zoom feature.
- Module dependencies: includes transcribe module, views, revisions.