Drupal 8 wants to provide a much improved workflow for content creators. One of the most critical screens in this is the content creation page. This issue outlines a plan for implementing a new design for this page.
Latest breakdown of sub-issues for this
- [task] commited: #723392: Tame seven's reset.css
- [task] committed: #1238484: Ability to mark the form buttons to be of a specific type (so that they can be styled differently)
- [major][feature] committed: #1751606: Move published status checkbox next to "Save"
- [major][feature] committed: #1838114: Change node form’s vertical tabs into details elements
- [major][feature] committed: #1838156: Implement the two-column layout for the new create content page
- [task] Needs work: #1751754: Implement new form style for Seven, based on blueprint mockups.
The main issues that this design wants to solve are:
- Make the publishing status of the content item much more obvious: Move the publishing state selection out of vertical tabs and position it closer to the Publish/Save actions. Provide a clear status label in the sidebar.
- Provide clearer seperation between content and settings: Make the vertical tabs less screen-space consuming by moving them into a sidebar as an accordion.
- Update and expand the visual language of the Seven admin theme to express all of the above in a clear and elegant form.
What we’d like to build is this:
From our analysis of the feedback on the research and design proposal, we made a few adjustments to our original proposal. See the discussion points below for the parts that need more detailed design work still.
Remaining tasks *Please see implementation plan below for critical work*
See comment #147 for the results of usability testing, this resulted in the following issues to be fixed:
Publish state selection near save Visual separation between accordions was occasionally hard Error messages are often hidden from view (bug)
- Text format has too much visual prominence
- Design how to handle tabs and secondary tabs in #763720: Visiblity of primary & secondary navigation
- #1562776: Edit Summary label is unclear to users
- #1562782: Menu settings on content creation are unclear
- #1562798: Its hard for users to provide valid input in the authoring date field
- #1562802: Allow for more images in article
- #1562804: "Sticky on top" is hard to understand
- #1510550: Placement of the Save button(s)
- #1510566: Allow for accordion tabs to be configured per content type
- #1510544: Allow to preview content in an actual live environment
- Media content creation UI
- How to make this all configurable? A Blocks & layout iniative use case.
Implementation plan *updated*
We need help in refactoring this from a prototype patch to a full fledged core patch. We have a first implementation a single core patch, but it needed to be split up into sub-issues in order to review, refactor and commit in more sensible steps. This is what still needs to be done before feature freeze:
- #723392: Tame seven's reset.css
- #1238484: Ability to mark the form buttons to be of a specific type (so that they can be styled differently)
- #1751606: Move published status checkbox next to "Save"
- Move the node form’s vertical tabs to collapsible fieldsets.
- Implement 2 column layout for node forms using either new Blocks & Layouts system or not, depending on time constraints. A mobile layout was never explicitly designed, but the original core patch implemented a responsive layout. Make sure this works well on small screens as we refactor!
- #1751754: Implement new form style for Seven, based on blueprint mockups.
Unfortunately these patches are interdependent – no way around that.