Crumbs is a powerful breadcrumb-building machine, generating high-quality breadcrumbs for most every page on your site, with minimal configuration.
The Crumbs engine takes advantage of the hierarchical nature inherent to breadcrumbs: It calculates the parent of the current page, the parent of the parent, etc, until it has the complete breadcrumb trail.
Crumbs uses plugins with fine-grained user-defined priorities, for each step in this process. Plugins for most of your favorite modules are already built-in, and you can add more.
A lot of stuff that would require laborious configuration with other breadcrumb-building modules, does work out of the box with Crumbs. And if it doesn't, there are powerful and ways to configure, customize and extend.
Where in other breadcrumb-customizing modules you need to define complete breadcrumbs for various pages and their all their children, in Crumbs you mostly just say "A is the parent of B", and it can solve all the rest of the puzzle by itself.
Crumbs plugins have two responsibilities: (1) to determine the parent path for a given path, and (2) to determine the title for a specific breadcrumb link.
Built-in plugins exist for: Menu, Taxonomy, Entity reference, Organic groups, Path aliases, Entityreference prepopulate, etc.
Besides, there are configurable token-based patterns to find the parent for entity pages per bundle: node pages (per content type), taxonomy term pages (per vocabulary), and user pages (per role).
Fine-grained priority control
Most plugin priorities are further subdivided, to allow even more fine-grained control: By menu name (menu), vocabulary name (taxonomy), field name and entity bundle (entity reference), group content type (organic groups), etc.
A smart wildcard system saves you from having to configure each of those fine-grained priorities separately: You only sort as fine-grained as you need, the rest will take the priority of the parent.
- Documentation start page / Install and configure.
- Built-in plugins
- How it works. Technical and conceptual notes.
- API - build and register your own Crumbs plugins.
- Future roadmap.
Modules that leverage crumbs_get_trail()
- Menupoly (under construction) is a "clone" of Menu Block, which can use crumbs to determine which submenus should be expanded, and which items should be marked as "active" or "active trail". Very much what menu trails does, but more powerful.
- ThemeKey (D7) is supported by Crumbs, and in combination they allow to switch theme based on a parent path in the crumbs trail.
Meant as an alternative to the following modules:
- Path breadcrumbs
- Menu breadcrumb
- Taxonomy breadcrumb
- Custom breadcrumbs
- Hansel breadcrumbs
- Node breadcrumb
- Menu trails. (in combination with Menupoly (see above).
There is a comparison page for different breadcrumb-related modules.
Feedback is welcome!
If you have any feedback, suggestions, interesting use cases, go ahead and post it on the issue queue!
Everything you post could lead to making this module better.
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Organic Groups (OG), Path Management, Site Navigation, Taxonomy
- Reported installs: 6278 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 10,462
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: April 30, 2013