The groundwork has already been laid. Reduce your custom theming time by using a theme framework with a powerful layout engine and sensible generic style defaults.
Use it as is, as a theme with simplistic/minimalistic design, or as a base theme for faster theme development.
Here are the key features of Groundwork :
- HTML 5
- Responsive design (mobile-first) with configurable breakpoints. Defaults to 768, 960 and 1152 2
- Web accessibility optimized with ARIA roles
- Semantic infrastructure 2
- 24-column grid system based on 960.gs
- Configurable grid 2
- Configurable number of columns in the grid
- Configurable gutter width
- Supports one, two, and three-column layouts
- 15 regions with a special "Aside" region visible only in nodes.
- Optimized typography for all standard elements
- Advanced Theme Settings
- Block source ordering per region
- Powerful layout engine provides unlimited layout possibilities
- CSS Reset
- Collection of preset CSS classes
- LESS CSS enhanced with loads of Drupal-specific mixins and bundles. 2
- HTML5 polyfill to support older browsers
- Formalize: HTML5 ready, progressively enhanced, cross-browser forms 1
- Icons for common Drupal form fields such as search, username, and password fields. 1
- Drush support - Create your custom theme with loads of options in just one command.
- and many more.
1 Only in 1.x branch.
2 Only in 2.x branch.
What is Groundwork?
Groundwork is a theme framework. It was built to help you design beautiful Drupal websites faster and more efficient. As its name implies, it's a groundwork which comes already with sensible generic style defaults, CSS browser hacks, collection of preset CSS classes and more. Because of Groundwork's basic generic style, you may also wish to use it as is, as a structured minimalistic theme.
Groundwork uses a 24-column grid system (configurable in 2.x) based on the 960.gs. Efficient layout options available give endless possibilities, which makes the Groundwork suite of themes extremely versatile. Customizing a website to specific layout and design is very easy.
Demo and Docs of 1.x branch have been moved to http://groundwork-7.x-1.x.noceda.no. There will still be full support for the 1.x branch, but no new features... only maintenance fixes.
- Skinr 7.x-2.0-beta1 or newer
- Note that blocks in most regions will all be 940px wide if you opted not to use Skinr.
- LESS CSS Preprocessor 7.x-3.0-beta1 or newer
- You will really miss out a lot if you do not utilize the LESS functionality of Groundwork. (You may of course use other Less tools of preference but 2.x is being tested with the Less module).
- Copy the subwork folder
- Rename the 3 instances of the name subwork.
- the folder name "subwork";
- the filename of the .info file "subwork.info";
- the name of the theme inside the .info file "name = Subwork"
- Design away with the well-commented local.css.
"Negosyante" is a word in the Filipino language meaning a person of affairs, engaged in business. An entrepreneur.
"Mayumi" is an adjective in the Filipino language which describes someone who is shy, demure and soft. It's often used to describe what an ideal Filipina should be.
- more coming soon...
There are no required modules for Groundwork 2.x
Recommended (2.x branch)
Sub-Themes (1.x branch)
It only takes 3 steps to create a sub-theme of Groundwork.
Creating a sub-theme of Groundwork is a breeze!
If you wish to use a ready-made sub-theme instead, here are some:
After using Groundwork on your sites, what do you want to see included in Groundwork core. Write a feature request.
Are you interested in co-maintaining Groundwork? Let's make Groundwork better all together and provide ourselves and others an awesome theme framework. Contact me: http://drupal.org/user/70994/contact
Development of the Groundwork project is sponsored by Noceda Media Lab.