There are two basic problems with not shipping Drupal with a files directory:
- as Chris Messina noted (http://factoryjoe.pbwiki.com/FeedbackForDrupal6) this makes Drupal 6 return with big red error boxing right after installation, as the file system is not set up yet (so JS and CSS aggregation are not possible for example)
JirkaRybka cooked up the solution, I am just fixing small issues with his patch and breaking it out from our installer localization issue (http://drupal.org/node/190283), as it is for broader discussion. The attached patch does a few simple things:
- adds a files directory with a README.txt
- modifies files directory check to work nicely in installer applying special wording for the installer (this one I modified a bit from the original patch and also fixed two small bugs with building the resulting array)
- modifies the installer requirements display to be able to display error messages without version numbers (as this part was originally intended for version compatibility checks)
- also modifies the page title to that effect
Patch and screenshot attached.